Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Mirror for Mom

This past weekend I made a trip to Connecticut to visit family.  Mom and Dad will be heading to Florida for the winter months the beginning of next month and Mom's birthday is the end of November. 

I have always enjoyed making things.  When I was a teen I used a shallow wooden crate that previously held mail order fruit to make a wall hanging for my Mom.  I painted it blue, framed it in silk flowers and glued vintage porcelain doll house bath fixtures inside like a shadowbox.  It still hangs in her bathroom to this day.

Since my Mom obviously appreciates my handiwork I decided to make her something special for her birthday this year.  In order to see her reaction and avoid shipping charges and possible breakage, I decided I would present it to her this trip.

I purchased a large chunky plain mirror for $4.99 at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store (my favorite haunt by the way).  My intent was to dress it up.  Using leftover sheets of glass mosaic tile from my bathroom back splash project I did just that.  I cut the mesh between four rows of tiles and adhered them to the mirror with white tile adhesive.  To avoid having to cut the tile to fit the miters I left the four corners uncovered.  Once dry I grouted each section with unsanded grout so as not to scratch the glass.

I think the finished product looks like something you could easily spend $100 or more on.  More importantly Mom loved it.  She hung it up in her foyer before I even left for home. 

Before


After

No comments:

Post a Comment