Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No Sew Pillows and Valances

You don't have to know how to sew to make your own soft goods for your home.  I do it all the time.  I found a product called Peel n Stick Fabric Fuse at my local craft store.  It is a permanent adhesive that comes in a roll.  You lay the sticky side face down onto the fabric and then you peal the tape to reveal another sticky side to adhere the other fabric end to.

I needed two pillows for my couch.  I had a couple of older pillows that had some pulls from my cat.  I figured they would make great inserts for some new pillows.  I found fabric quilting squares for only .97 cents each at Walmart that were just the right size to cover one side of a pillow.  In order to fuse two squares together I laid the fabric right side down, folded about a one inch seam all around and fused the fabric together on three sides with the tape.  I then inserted the pillow and closed up the top using the fabric tape in the same way.  To embellish the pillows further I hot glued trim along the seams.  They look great.  Not sure how they will hold up in the wash but by then I will probably be ready for a change anyway. 





I also tried my hand at some valances for my kitchen windows.  I found some pretty print sheets at the thrift store and cut them to the appropriate size to fit my windows.  I then used the fusable tape to make a finished seam all around and a pocket for the rod at the top.  I found the look too shear so I took a coordinating solid sheet and backed the reverse side of the valance with that.




For a few bucks in fabric fuse tape and some fabric you may already have around the house you can do the same.  If I can do it, anyone can.



No comments:

Post a Comment