Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Columbus Day Weekend Projects







I couldn't have taken off four better days weather wise.  I had big plans and many projects I intended to complete.  Saturday I did my usual yard sale shopping.  I don't know what I am going to do with myself when winter arrives and the yard sales go the way of the dinosaur at least temporarily.

A year ago I purchased a primitive style desk covered in many layers of paint at a yard sale.  I paid $5 for it.   With all of my other obligations it has sat in my garage since then.   This weekend I took it out and set my mind to completing its transformation.  I used paint stripper to take off what I could.  Then I sanded it down with my electric sander and course grit paper.  I spray painted it cream and added some nice deco style silver knobs to the drawer.  What a feeling of satisfaction.  To shed light on the situation I hung up a 1960's wicker swag lamp.

Moving my new gem to its spot in the corner of the Master Bedroom meant making space for it.  It gave me incentive to do much more.  I also moved in from the garage a mid century modern stand I bought at the Thrift Store a while back.  It too was only $5.  It needed just a bit of a wipe down and I added two storage baskets to the bottom shelf.   I made a wall unit out of it by combining it with a bookshelf I had found on one of my Auction House excursions.  I don't remember what I paid for it but I am sure it was cheap.  Above the wall unit hangs another yard sale find.  It is a Maio City Scene I found for $2.  To update it I painted the frame a nice glossy black.

 
At the far corner of the room sits my $12 recovered Estate Sale chair, $5 Thrift Store ottoman and $5 Flea Market floor lamp.  I can't wait to curl up in my new reading corner with a good book and a cup of coffee.  Maybe next time I take a few days off I will get to enjoy that pleasure.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment