Friday, January 27, 2012

Make A Decorative Storage Rack With Repurposed Items

On my recent visit to the thrift store I looked around to see if there were any interesting items that I could make something with.  I found a pine wooden crate for 99 cents, a 6" brass pillar candle ring for 99 cents, and a package of swag/scarf rings for 99 cents.  I then headed to Kmart in hopes of finding round adhesive mirror stick-ons.  I didn't find what I was looking for but came away with a 5" diameter round mirrored candle plate and two blind spot mirrors I found in the auto parts department.




Since the mirrored plate was 5" diameter and the candle ring opening was 6" diameter I cut a piece of cardboard box in a 6" round and glued the mirror onto it using my hot glue gun.   I then glued the cardboard to the ring and the two spot mirrors onto the scarf rings. 



After staining the wooden crate with some leftover walnut stain I glued the three mirrors onto the crate.  The crate can now be hung on the wall or you can sit it on a shelf.  I found it worked perfectly to hold my CDs.  Thinking outside the box (no pun intended) I was able to make a one-of-a-kind decorative CD rack for about $10.


I would love to see what other creative types have made by repurposing found items.   Please feel free to share your projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment