Sunday, January 8, 2012

High End Look for Less

I felt the need to work my creative side today.  A couple of months ago I purchased a video rocker at my Salvation Army Thrift Store for $10 or $15.


My plan was to recreate the look of a mid century modern lounge chair.  Below is an example of a 1960's lounge chair I found on One Kings Lane.  A pair of these were going for $3,999.



With the holidays and all I didn't get around to my planned project until now.  This morning I headed out to Lowes for four Round Tapered Legs and four Angled Top Plates.  They only carried 6" or 24" legs in this modern style.  I was really looking for more of a 10-12" leg but decided I could work with the shorter leg for now.  Each one cost $2.50 and the plates were $1.68 each.
 

In order to provide a sturdier base to adhere the legs to I decided to use a 1 x 4 board I had in my garage.  I cut two lengths the width of the base of the chair (16") and screwed two plates to each board.  I then screwed the legs into the plates and screwed the boards to the bottom of the chair.

 
Below is what I ended up with.  I think it looks pretty close to the expensive chair above.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found you from Addicted 2 Decorating...this is great! You are very crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I want 27 of these! I love it - what a great re-purpose! Found you on Addicted 2 Decorating.
    Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker

    ReplyDelete