Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Retro Bar Cart


If you find yourself one of these at a flea market or yard sale scoop it up.  I found this one at a yard sale for $1.00.  I believe it is an old Costco kitchen cart.  It even has an electric outlet attached that plugs into the wall to plug in your blender for mixing margaritas or your coffee pot if an Irish Coffee is more to your liking.  It would be the perfect retro bar cart for my new mid century modern decor. 

I cleaned it up with soap and water.  I unscrewed the metal shelves from the base for painting.  I scuffed up the surface a bit so the paint would adhere better.  I painted the two lower shelves a glossy black and the top shelf and the base with a metallic silver spray paint.  After letting it dry overnight I put it back together (of course, not after a trip to the hardware store to replace the screw I managed to loose somewhere in the garage).

All it needed now was a little set dressing.  I placed an acrylic tray with matching ice bucket, stainless drink shaker and blue corked glass bottle on the top shelf.  On the middle shelf I placed a small round ruffled silver tray with blue and white teapot and sake cups.  Finally, on the bottom shelf I placed a shallow rectangular  wicker basket and four black and gold retro tumblers.   All of the items used are items I found at yard sales or flea markets or that I bought at my favorite auction house.  It makes for a very collected over time look.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment